Monday, December 17, 2012

In the beginning.....

In the beginning... it promises so much.  A beginning.  Hope for days and times to come.  Promises yet to be fulfilled.  In the beginning.

Suggestions have been brought my way that I write a book.  Hmmm... what a thought.  I have always loved words, loved what they could convey, and so thoroughly enjoyed spending time putting pen to paper.  ( ha ha... yes so old fashioned I know )

The thought of being an author is appealing.  Then there comes the whispers of the Holy Spirit in my soul..... no.  This is not what I have been called to.  First reaction was not so pleasant...I, of course listed all the reasons why this would be good.  Dare I?  Dare I value the truth over perception?  Dare I value truth over selfish desire.  Holy Spirit - speak to me.  Reveal to me the why.  As I suspected...the why was not so pleasant.  I pray that the reason is not obvious to you.  I pray that I have fought the ugliness and kept it at bay.  The truth - the truth is that I am susceptible to pride.

Oh there are psychologists, therapists, counselors, and even psychiatrist who will say that the desire for attention / affirmation are a simple result of a traumatic childhood occurrence.  Sounds plausible, may even have some truth in it.  It is not, however, the greater truth.  The greater truth is that within me lies a desire to applauded and to be noted for achievements.  The greater truth is that this is pathetic and sad.  The greatest truth of them all - is that within my relationship with God, I find the greatest fulfillment of all my desires.  As a child of the one true King, I have found completeness, fathomless peace, boundless love, and most of all the assurance that I am who He designed me to be.  I need nothing else.  I have been so blessed to have heard His voice, "Well done thou good and faithful servant" once in my life and I am forever grateful for that confirmation.

So no book for me.   Yet the calling to write continues.... and the idea of a blog has been playing on the fringes of my mind and my heart for some time now.  I cannot picture myself as a blogger nor anyone really wanting to follow said blog.  Yet the pull doesn't leave but becomes stronger instead.  Obedient I will be and blog I will.

Where to begin?  What to share?  Much time has been spent on the how's, why's, and where to for's of beginning a blog.  Yet I sit here this very morning, coffee in hand, with all that having been tossed aside.  It is not what the Holy Spirit is calling me to share.  What follows is the un-varnished, un-edited words that have been weighing heavily on my heart.

In the beginning......

December 14, 2012  rings forth as another day in the history of our nation where senseless violence rang out, taking the lives of the innocent.  Today, three days later, open any form of media and you will see a plethora of call to arms.  Calls for political change, calls for gun control, calls for social change - each person struggling to make sense of what has occurred and to prevent such from happening again.

For some, the increase in the reign of evil upon the earth is not surprising.  Heartbreaking - most definitely.  Just not a surprise.  The Bible clearly tells us of what we are seeing with our own eyes.

2 Timothy 3:1-7

Godlessness in the Last Days


But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty.  For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power.  Avoid such people.  For among them are those who creep into the households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.



In the midst of all this heartbreak and sorrow; a truth has come to me that sorrows me further.  So many people are banding together in support of the families of Connecticut.  Kindness and love is being offered on every front.

Where was all this kindness and love 4 days ago?  Where was the kindness on December 13th?  Where was the love on the 13th of December?

 Why is it that as a people, we are  not willing to lay aside self and pour out pure love and kindness upon others until there is a tragedy?  How much more the love of one who will redeem each minute of the day they are in to show another love and kindness.

Stop!  Think!!  If you woke this morning with a new beginning mind set.  You, you alone, vowed to redeem each opportunity presented today and show love.  No matter the cost.  No matter the witness.  No matter.....  Just love.

Imagine the what if.  What if today was not all about me?  What if today I could love another more than myself?  What if today, I actively searched for opportunities in which I could show love?  What if?

God shows himself mightily in the what ifs. What if we step out in faith and grab his hand?  What if we allow Jesus to reign in our hearts?  What if we allow God to love through us?

That is the what if that I desire to see.

I challenge myself to a new beginning.  A beginning where God's love reigns without limit.

I challenge you, Church, to a new beginning.  A beginning where God's truth stands for itself and His love is given freely without expectation.

I challenge you, and you, and you, and you.....

In the beginning.....  
what will it be?


4 comments:

  1. Katrina, excellent idea to write a blog! I LOVE the thoughts that you put to paper today..."In the beginning." Thanks so much for sharing...I always take something from what you write and walk away, ready to begin again and challenge myself to do more for the greater good. In your words, the truth rings and I know those words are heaven sent...How could they not be? Keep it up my friend...this world needs writers like you :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You touch me with your kindness and your open heart. Keep loving, for it is worth any price!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is excellent! You have such a God given ability for putting truth in plain English for us....Love, Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have given me such a great gift across the years of my life. You have always spoken truth into my life - whether I was receptive or not. Such a beautiful gift growing from real love. Thank you.

      Delete